The first 250 years

NEW!  Below is a collection of excerpts from William H. Burkhart’s book, “Shippensburg’s 250-Year History” published on the occasion of Shippensburg’s 250th Anniversary program, July 6-19, 1980.

 1837–First Train Comes Through Town

On Nov. 16, 1837, a train of seven cars drawn by two locomotives, the “Cumberland Valley” and the “Carlisle,” left the Susquehanna between 10:00 and 11:00 a.m. and arrived at Chambersburg at 3:00 p.m.

Read more…

Comments are closed.